In south-west Sardinia Carbonia together with Iglesias forms the capital of the province of Carbonia-Iglesias. Founded in the 30s during the fascist period, Carbonia was built in record time in order to provide housing for the workforce of the nearby mines. Established on 5 November 1937, the city was officially opened on 18 december 1938. The city was very important because of its strategic location in between the coal mines in the Sulcis area, which were one of the main sources of Italy's supply of energy at that time. After World War II the need for coal diminished and having lost their jobs many inhabitants moved out. After the closure of the mines in the 70s the town's economy was converted on the metallurgical industry.